last updated August 15th, 2004 and is permanently morphing...
(9 Oc (Dog) / 13 Yaxk'in (New Sun)
- 230/260 - 184.108.40.206.10)
1.Any of various usually
woody, temperate or tropical grasses of the genera Arundinaria, Bambusa,
Dendrocalamus, Phyllostachys, or Sasa.
2.The hard or woody stems
of these plants, used in construction, crafts, and fishing poles.
Often used to modify another
noun: bamboo furniture; bamboo sticks.
[Malay bambu, of Indic origin.]
Bamboo, common name for about
45 genera and about 480 species of perennial, woody, usually shrubby or
treelike plants of the grass family. Bamboos occur mostly in tropical and
subtropical areas. They are most abundant in southeastern Asia, but some
species exist in the Americas and Africa. The plants range from about 1
to 50 m (about 3 to 164 ft) in height.
Bamboos have woody, jointed
stems called culms. The culms consist of hollow sections called internodes,
which are interrupted by regularly spaced solid partitions called nodes.
At each node a sheath protects a bud, which may develop into either a branch
or a flower cluster. Bamboos are used widely by humans. In the tropics
they are used for constructing houses, rafts, bridges, and scaffolding.
Split and flattened culms can be interwoven to make baskets, mats, hats,
and fish traps; culms of large species may be used as containers for liquids.
Young shoots are eaten as a vegetable.
Bamboos belong to the family Gramineae.
grass: pampas grass, elephant grass, bamboo, sugar
Shakuhachi, musical instrument, Japanese
end-blown flute made from bamboo, with four finger holes and one thumbhole.
The player blows against a slip of horn, ivory, or plastic set into the tube's
beveled end. The opposite end incorporates the slightly curved root section
of the bamboo stalk, which is decoratively trimmed. Found in a variety of lengths
and pitches, the shakuhachi is used in traditional meditative solo pieces, in
the classical chamber repertory, and in contemporary music.
- record store Faster Bamboo on Haight Street, San Francisco.
owned or operated by W(ade) of Domestic Records
- Bamboo can grow three feet in twenty-four hours.
- track _You Can Use Bamboo As A Ruler_ MP3 (192k)
by Isan off of _Lucky Cat_ on Morr Music (2001)
- abstract breakbeat techno track _Bamboo_ MP3 (160k)
by Spooky off of _Bamboo_ 12"x2 on Generic #005 (1996)
- drill & bass track _Bamboo Shoots Battle_ MP3
by TRS-80 off of _Backup: 01_ on Invisible (2001)
- 604 track _Bamboo Bola_ MP3
- 604 track _Higher (Bamboo Mix)_ by Kailash off of _Shamanic Trance
Funk mix_ mixed by Tsuyoshi
Suzuki on Return
To The Source (1996)
- track _Bamboo Bimbo_ MP3 (192k)
off of _Hardcore Devo Vol.2 1974-1977_ (1991)
- art rock track _Baby Bamboo From Nose_ MP3 (160k)
by Ooioo off of _Feather Float_ on Polystar (2001)
- avant garde track _Bamboo Battle_ MP3 (192k) by Ikue
Mori off of _Garden_ on Tzadik (1996k)
- 604 track _Big Bambu_ by Rock City Shockers off of
_10 Kilors_ compilation CDb
on 10 Kilo
- release _(On The Corner Mix)/(King Dollar Mix)_
12" on 10 Kilo (2002)
- reference track _Clash City Rockers_ MP3
Clash off of s/t CD/12"
on CBS (1977)
Workers at Matsushita Electric
Company (aka Panasonic), in Japan,
beat dummies of their foremans with bamboo sticks to let off steam. The
company at this time enjoyed 30 percent growth for 25 consecutive years.
entity Bamboo Forest
Table_ MP3 (160k)
off of _Maelstrom: Fifth Flight_ compilation 12"x2
- track _ Own Way_ MP3 (192k)
off of _Sixth Flight - Nightvision_ compilation on Flying Rhino (2000)
track _Sans Titre_ MP3
off of _Psychedelic
Electronica 2_ compilation 12"x2
on Psychic Deli (1999)
- track _Wrap_ MP3 (192k)
- release _Random Future_ on Flying
- _Home Boys_ MP3 (192k)
- _Dump It_ MP3 (192k)
- _Melting Pot_ MP3 (192k)
- _Random Future_
- _Infinity_ MP3 (192k)
- _Tomorrow I'll Quit_ MP3 (192k)
- _Joystick_ MP3 (192k)
- _The Walk_ MP3 (192k)
- track _Toast_ MP3 (192k)
off of _Seventh Flight - Elevation_
compilation on Flying
- track _Sadhu_ MP3 (160k)
off of _Forest Of The Saints_ MixCD by Goa Gil on Avatar
- track _Chinese Girl_ MP3 (192k)
off of _Psycho-Tainment_ compilation CD on Spirit Zone
- track _Goodwind_ MP3
off of _Time
2_ compilation CDx3 (1999)
- track _On_ MP3 (192k)
- track _Brazil_ MP3 (192k)
off of _Sola Sonorum_ compilation CD on Spirit Zone (2002)
- track _Electrotoy_ MP3 (192k)
off of _Sub Science_ compilation CD on 3D Vision (2001)
- track _Automation_ MP3 (192k)
off of _Gaia IX_ compilation on XIII Bis
- track _Tilt_ MP3 (256k)
off of _Random Future_ on Flying Rhino (2002)
- release _Unusual/Pleonasm_ MP3 (192k)
12" on Moon
- release _Final Frontier MP3 (192k)/Discover_
12" on Dragonfly (2001)
- release _Bypass/Spektral_ MP3 (192k) 12"
on Spirit Zone (2002)
- track _Flying
of _Deck Wizards:
Jean Borelli - Planet Maya_
on Psychic Deli
- track _Synthesis_ MP3 (160k)
off of _Rolling Synthocods_ compilation 12"x2 on Uphonic
- track _Awake_ MP3 (192k)
off of _A Better Life Through Chemistry_ compilation on Dragonfly