last updated December 17th, 2004 and is permanently morphing...
(3 Ix (Jaguar) / 17 Mac - 94/260 - 18.104.22.168.14)
- The Japanese
word for left, "hidari," is derived from "dari-on," or "horizon," because
the emperor faced south for ceremonial occasions and the sun
rose on his left.
- Scholars agree that in declaring "the hand of little
employment hath the daintier sense," Hamlet was referring to the left hand.
- The ancient Incas
held left-handers in high esteem. One of their early monarchs, Llloque Yapanqui,
was known as the "Unforgettable Left-handed One."
- Research studies suggest lefties are more perceptive
to changes in musical tones, perhaps because they,
unlike right-handers, hear equally well with both ears.
- Lefties have a decided edge when it comes to using
the standard QWERTY keyboard on a typewriter. There are no plans to replace
QWERTY with the Dvorak keyboard, which places 56 percent of the workload on
the right hand.
- More than one-third of all children who were made
to switch from naturally using their left hand to using their right, developed
some stammer or impediment to their speech.
of our solar system's nine planets, including Earth, rotate counterclockwise
on their axes. The planets orbit the sun
"to the left," and our sun, along with the billions of other stars in
the universe, orbits the Milky
Way in a counterclockwise direction.
- One archeological study found that 55 percent of a
sample of French Stone Age tools were for left-handers. Another discovery
revealed that one-third of North American Indian stone implements were made
- Among early Eskimos every left-hander was viewed as
a potential sorcerer.
- In tribute to his left hand, Immanuel Kant once said,
"What can more resemble my hand and be in all points like, than its image
in the looking glass? And yet I cannot put such a hand as I see in the glass
in the place of the original."
- Being left-handed was evidence against a person in
the 17th century witch trials in New England. A French superstition held that
witches greet Satan _avec le bras gauche_ ("with the left arm").
- It is believed by some that the reason Leonardo
da Vinci used his left hand exclusively was that his right hand was paralyzed.
- As many as 70 percent of the Punjab tribe of Fiji
use the left hand by preference. There is also a consistently higher occurrence
of left-handedness in aboriginal tribes of North and South America, South
Africa and Australia.
- In 1989, Stanley Coren, author of _The Left-Hander
Syndrome: The Causes and Consequences of Left-Handedness_, determined on the
basis of nearly 1,000 case histories that the average age of death for right-handers
was 75 years, while left-handers lived about 66 years.
- Proudly proclaiming itself as the "World's only magazine
for Lefthanders," _Lefthander Magazine_ is published bimonthly from Lefthanders
International at P.O. Box 8249, Topeka, KS 66608. The magazine is lefty friendly
with pages tailored for left-handed use.
- Visit the zoo this weekend and see for yourself that
gorillas, monkeys, chimpanzees and orangutans are
- The skulls of 700 Egyptians
from the twenty-seventh to thirteenth dynasty (525-332 B.C.) werefound to
have a larger cerebral capacity in the right hemisphere, which strongly suggests
they were left-handed.
- Left-handers make better typists. Not only do they
have more practice using both hands for other tasks, but the most used letters
- A, E, R, S and T - are on the left side of the keyboard.
- When bats
emerge from a cave, theyfly
in a left-spiraling pattern to keep from bumping into each other.
- Ancient Egyptian tomb drawings show about 10 percent
of the figures using the left hand.
- Ancient Aztec healers believed in the importance of
using a particular hand to administer medicine. Liver medication had to be
taken with the right hand, and kidney medicine with the left.
- Baseball has become a popular sport in Japan,
and the natural advantages the game offers southpaws has been credited with
helping change the centuries-old anti-lefty bias in that country.
- Studies on immunities and susceptibilities indicate
left-handers seem to be more susceptible to the effects of drugs and alcohol
- The French word for left, "gauche," also means clumsy,
socially inept or incorrect.
- Left-handedness was believed to be a sign of good
luck by the ancient Zuni
tribe of North America.
- The Zuni still believe that the left hand is the older
and wiser one.
- According to a study published in South Africa, vegetarians
are more likely to be left-handed.
- On average, lefties score lower on the verbal portion
of standardized tests, but far outrank righties in math.
- If there were no interference on the part of parents
and teachers, 34 out of every100 children born today would be left-handed,
and about 3 percent would be using both hands with
- The Romans were the most militantly right-handed people
in history, and made up rules against left-handers. Romans invented the right-handed
handshake and the left-to-right alphabet.
- While many ancient cultures considered left-handedness
a bad sign, the Incas of Peru
looked upon it as a harbinger of good fortune.
- Lefties generally use both hemispheres of the brain
to carry out certain functions, rather than rely on one
hemisphere like their rightie counterparts. Some experts studying the brain
think the bilateral functioning by lefties is
problematic, but others feel it can result in superior mental power.
- Stewardesses is the longest word that is typed with
only the left hand.
- Left-handers adjust more readily to seeing underwater.
- 4 of the 5 original designers of the Apple
Macintosh computer were left-handed
- Angelina Jolie (_Girl, Interrupted_ (vhs/ntsc), _Hackers_
- Balthazar Getty (_Lost Highway_)
- Bart Simpson
- Ben Stiller (_There's Something About Mary_ (vhs/ntsc))
Franklin (also a vegetarian)
- Big Bird (the right hand is used to move the 4.5 pound
- Bill Bradley - Senator and Presidential candidate,
player for New York Knicks
- Bill Clinton
- Bill Lee (eccentric pitcher for the Montreal Expos)
- Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins - plays guitar right-handed)
- Bob Dylan
- Bren Spiner (Data)
- Bruce Willis (_Pulp
Fuction_ (vhs/ntsc), _The
Sixth Sense_ (vhs/ntsc) )
- Carol Burnett
Christian Slater (_Heathers_(vhs/ntsc) , _The
Name Of The Rose_ (vhs/tnsc) )
Dan Aykroyd (Blues Brother, Ghostbuster, _Trading
David Byrne (Talking Heads)
Diane Keaton (_Sleeper_
Don Adams (_Get Smart_)
Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin (NASA
The Elephant Man
- Fidel Castro (Cuban leader)
Fran Drescher (_This Is Spinal Tap_ (vhs/tnsc))
author; also a vegetarian)
Hans Christian Anderson (also a vegetarian)
Harry Anderson (_Night Court_)
Isaac Hayes (voice of the chef in _South Park_)
Jason Bateman (_It's Your Move_)
Jennifer Connolly (film _Some Girls_ (vhs/tnsc),
_Requiem For A Dream_ (vhs/tnsc))
Joanne Woodward (also a vegetarian)
Johann Sebastian Bach
Julianne Moore (_Boogie Nights_ (vhs/tnsc))
Keanu Reeves (_The
Kermit The Frog
Klaus Kinski (_Nosferatu The Vampyre_
Larry Bird (Boston Celtics
player, also a vegetarian)
Escher - drew with his left, wrote with his right
Mahatma Ghandi (also vegetarian)
Mark Hamill (v_Star Wars_
Mark Wahlberg (_Boogie Nights_ (vhs/tnsc))
McLuhan (media guru)
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Mary Stuart Masterson (_Some Kind Of Wonderful_ (vhs/ntsc))
Matthew Broderick (_Wargames_, _Ferris Bueller's Day
Matt Groening (creator of _The Simpsons_)
Michael Stipe (REM)
Mickey Rourke (_Angel Heart_ (vhs/tnsc))
Milla Jovovich (_Resident Evil_ (vhs/tnsc))
Morgan Freeman (_The Shawshank Redemption_ (vhs/tnsc))
Nicole De Boer (_Cube_
also a vegetarian)
Penelope Ann Miller (_Biloxi Blues_)
Peter Fonda (_Easy Rider_, _The Trip_)
artists formerly known as and is once again known
Rachel Leigh Cook (also vegetarian)
Richard Dreyfuss (Roy Neary in _Close
Encounters Of The Third Kind_ DVDx2)
- Richard Pryor
- Robert DeNiro (_The King Of Comedy_ (vhs/tnsc))
- Robert Redford (_The Natural_)
- Ron Perlman (_Name
Of The Rose_ (vhs/tnsc) , _Alien:
Resurrection_, _City Of Lost Children_)
- Ron Reagan, Jr.
- Sarah Jessica Parker (_Mars Attacks!_ (vhs/tnsc),
- Stefanie Powers (_Die! Die! My Darling_, _Hart To
- Steve McQueen (_Papillon_ (vhs/tnsc))
- Tippi Hedren (_The Birds_)
- Telly Savalas
- Terence Stamp
- Teri Garr (_After
Hours_ (vhs/tnsc) , _Close
Encounters Of The Third Kind_ DVD x2)
- Winston Churchill (also a freemason
as well as vegetarian)
avant garde track _Sacred Rites Of The Left Hand Path_
Zorn off of _I.A.O._ CD no Tzadik (2002)
- track _Left Hand Suzuki Method_ MP3 (192k)
by Gorillaz off of s/t CD (2001)
- electro acoustic track _The Left Remembers_ MP3
by Paul Schutze off of _Green
Evil_ on Tone (2000)
- track _Lefty_ MP3 (192k)
by Rocket From The Crypt off of _Boychucker_ 7"
on Sympathy For The Record Industry (1992)
- neo psychedelia
noise pop release _If You Want Me To Stay/The Left Handed Raygun Of Paul Sharits_
Rev on Rough Trade (1992)
- release was offered through the Rough Trade Singles
- track _Slow Rt. Hand_ MP3 (vK)
by Califone off of _Roomsound_ on Perishable (2001)
- indie electronic release _Left Handed_ 12" by
Lali Puna on Morr Music #037 (2003)
- track _Fat Tuesday_ by Left Hand Right Hand off of
_Arrythmia II (compilation of percussive music)_ CD
on Charnel House (1996)
- post rock track _Left Side Clouded_ MP3 (192k)
by The Sea & Cake off of _One Bedroom_ on Thrilljockey (2003)
book _The Left Hand Of Darkness_ by Ursula K. Leguin
- the Free Art License and Free Software Movement
- track _Left Hand Shake (Banned
Studio Version)_ MP3
by Skinny Puppy off of _Last Rights_
samples from Timothy
Leary on _Left Hand Shake_ MP3
off of _Brap_ (European Version Only)
- "You are a light.
You are a sun.
Drift within. This is your body."
- "Did you get lost on the
- "Did you get trapped in memory?"
- "Did you forget?"
- "What did you do?"
- "Trivial paranoia..."
- "You had to make it a
- "...Don't see the light...
Do not see right..."
- "In this mirror of confession..."
- "What do you see there?
Your personality... All your goals and your fears... Your ambitions."
- "The chess
game of your life; got to check that, you can't take it on the trip."
- "All those animal impulses
that you hide..."
- "And keep down below,
all this baggage must be checked."
- "You can't take that on
the billion year voyage."
- "Are you ready?"
- "Then take this chalice,
the elixir of life."