This nOde last updated June 4th, 2005 and is
Ak'bal (Night) / 1 Zots (Bat) - 3/260 -
1. An underground or
2. A passage through or
under a barrier.
3. Obsolete. The main flue
on a chimney.
tunneled or tunnelled
or tunnelling tunnels or tunnels verb, transitive
1. To make a tunnel through
2. To produce, shape, or
dig in the form of a tunnel.
To make a tunnel.
[Middle English tonel,
net, from Old French tonnelle, diminutive of tonne, tun, possibly
- tun´neler or
passage, approximately horizontal, usually made without removing the
overlying rock or soil. Methods of tunneling vary with the nature of
the material to be cut through. In soft earth, the excavation is
timbered for support as the work advances, the timbers sometimes being
left as a permanent lining for the tunnel. Often two parallel
excavations that will hold the side walls are constructed first, and
arches connecting them are built as the material between them is
extracted. Rock tunneling is accomplished with explosives and
high-speed drilling machinery. Underwater tunneling through mud,
quicksand, or permeable earth requires the use of a shield (devised and
first used in 1825), a steel cylinder closed at its forward end, which
holds rotating cutting blades. The cutting end is pushed ahead by
hydraulic jacks, and excavated material is removed through openings in
the shield face. River-crossing tunnels are also constructed by
dredging a trench in the riverbed; then lowering prefabricated tunnel
sections through the water into the trench, where divers connect them;
and, finally, covering the trench and tunnel.
604 label Tunnel
_Unconscious/Party Boot/Club 88_ 12"
by Keta Minh
_Magma/Closed Sector MP3/Nothing
_Tunnel Trance Force_
_We Created Our Own Happiness_ by X-Dream
_Zebra/The Second Room_ MP3
- _Pacman_ (1980) and various offshoots:
one of the key strategies in this series is that
the ghosts do not follow you into the tunnel. instead, they have
to go after you way across the maze
on the other side instead of following you in. so the a good way
to shake off the ghosts is to rapidly switch sides using the tunnels...
- arcade game _Tempest_
You control a yellow crab-shaped shooter that
travels along the outside rim of a 3-dimensional
tunnel, shooting enemies down the alleys of the tunnel while
avoiding any coming down the alleys. The tunnel takes on many
different forms, and the shooter has a special "superzapper" that
enables it to kill all enemies present in the tunnel.
The World's Longest Railway Tunnels
- Seikan 33.5 miles long in Japan
- English Channel Tunnel 31.04 miles long
connecting United Kingdom and France
- Dal-shimizu 14 miles long in Japan
- Simplon No.1 and 2 - 12 miles long
connecting Switzerland and Italy
- Kanmon 12 miles long in Japan
- Apennine 11 miles long in Italy
- Rokko 10 miles long in Japan
- Mt. MacDonald 9.1 miles long in
- Gotthard 9 miles long in Switzerland
- Lotschberg 9 miles long in
Tunnel Boring Machines
Ever wonder how tunnels are made? By
machines such as these:
- space rock track _Boring Machines Disturb Sleep_ MP3 (192k) by Mogwai off of _Happy Songs For Happy
People_ on Matador (2003)
techno track _Biosensors In Tunnel Complex
techno track _Tunneling_ MP3 (vK)
by Haiko Laux off of _Liquidism_ 12" on Kanzleramt (1998)
- space rock track _There's A Fight At The
End Of The Tunnel_ MP3 (192k) by Third Eye Foundation off of _You Guys Kill Me_ on
- industrial noise track _Tunnel Of Goats_
MP3 (160k) by Coil off of _Constant Shallowness Leads To Evil_
on Eskaton (2000)
- IDM breaks track _The Tunnel_ MP3 (224k) by Red Snapper off of _Making Bones_ on Warp
- IDM breaks track _Tunnel Talk_ MP3 (160k) by RAC off of _Structures_ 12"x2 on Warp #071
- techno track _Timetunnel_ MP3 (192k) by Axel Bartsch & Asem Shama
- techno track _Tunneling_ MP3 (256k) by Heiko Laux off of _Liquidism_ 12"x2 on
- techno track _Tunnel Society_ MP3 (192k) by Inigo Kennedy off of _Urban Society ep_ 12"
on Molecular #009
- detroit techno release _Linking Tunnel/Food & Fuel_ 12" by Morgan Geist on Clear #433 (1997)
techno track _Time Tunnel_ MP3 by Legion Of Green Men off of _Spatial
- track _Green
Grass Of Tunnel (video edit)_ MP3 (192k) by Mum
- downtempo breakbeat track _Carpal Tunnel
Syndrome_ MP3 by Kid Koala
& Money Mark off of _Funkungfusion 12" on Ninja Tune #033 (1998)
- turntablism release _Carpal Tunnel Syndrome_
CD by Kid Koala on Ninja Tune #034 (2000)
- post rock instrumental track _End Of The
Tunnel (vK)_ by Lanterna
off of _Scenic/Lanterna In Live Performance_ 7"x2 on IPR/Parasol (1996)
- track _Tunneling_ MP3 (256k)(18:20) by Merzbow & Christoph Heemann off
of _Sleeper Awakes On The Edge Of The Abyss_ on Streamline (1987)
- sci fi drum & bass track _The Tunnel_ MP3 by Gridlok
- track _Holland Tunnel_ MP3 by I Am The World Trade Center off of _Out Of
The Loop_ on Kindercore (2001)
- indie art rock track _Tunnel Tube_ MP3 (vK) by Thinking Fellers Union Local 282 off of
_Porcelain Entertainment_ on Fruit
- ambient track _Eurotunnel_ MP3 (192k) by Drome off of _Dromed_ CD on Kiff #001 (1995)
- ambient techno track _Tunnel_ MP3 (vK) by Biosphere off of _Insomnia: No Peace For
The Wicked_ CD on Origo Sound #015 (1997)
- track _Tunnel Vision_ MP3 by Shango
- 604 track _Neuro Tunnel_ MP3 (160k) by Man With No Name
- sample: "for more enjoyment and
greater efficiency, consumption is being standardized..."; "i
need something...stronger..." - Robert Duvall as THX-1138
- trance release _Tunneling MP3 (vK)/The Sinus_ 12" by Chab on Plastic Fantastic (2001)
- film _Haiku Tunnel_
(vhs/ntsc) directed by
Jacob & Josh Kornbluth (2001)
- Haiku Tunnel is a
frenetic office comedy about a neurotic male secretary who is a
terrific temp but a horrible perm. When his new boss (a tax attorney
who just may be Satan) gives him 17 very important letters to mail out,
he doesn't, and the ensuing complications bring him face-to-face with a
lifetime of personal demons.
- trailer & 5 excerpts (quicktimes)
- 604 track _Ghostrider (Time Tunnel Remix)_ MP3 (160k) by Sandman
off of _Witchcraft_ 12"x3 on Matsuri Productions (1998)
A tunnel is an underground passage through a
mountain or under a waterway, road or
It may be for pedestrians and/or cyclists, for
general road traffic, for motor vehicles only, for rail traffic, or for
a canal. Some tunnels are constructed purely for carrying water (for
consumption, for hydroelectric purposes or as sewers); others carry
other services such as telecommunications cables.
Various combinations are also possible.
The central part of a metro network is usually built in tunnels. To allow
non-level crossings, some lines are in deeper tunnels than others. At
metro stations there are often also pedestrian tunnels to walk from one
platform to another.
At train stations of ground-level railways
there are often one or more pedestrian tunnels under the railway to
reach the platform(s).
A subway in the UK is a pedestrian tunnel that
goes under a road.
The St. Gothard Tunnel opened in Switzerland on
September 5, 1980 as the world's longest highway tunnel at 10.14 miles
(16.32 km) stretching from Goschenen to Airolo.
Shallow tunnels are of the cut-and-cover type
(if under water of the immersed-tube type), deep tunnels are excavated,
often using a tunnelling shield. For intermediate levels, both methods
Cut-and-cover is a method of tunnel
construction where a trench is excavated and roofed over. Strong
supporting beams are necessary to avoid the danger of the tunnel
Examples of tunnels
* The Lincoln Tunnel between New Jersey and
New York is the busiest vehicular tunnel in the world.
* The Sapperton Tunnel in the Thames & Severn Canal in England, dug
through hills, which opened in 1789, was 3.5 km long and allowed ship
transport of coal.
* The Box Tunnel in England, which opened in 1841, is one of the oldest
railway tunnels in the world. It is dug and has a length of 2900 m.
* The Atlantic Avenue Tunnel, Brooklyn, New York is the world's oldest
underground railway tunnel in a street, built in 1844 by the
cut-and-cover method for the Long Island Rail Road. It is 800 m long.
* The Channel tunnel between England and France.