Internal LinkInventory Cache
last updated December 17th, 2004 and is permanently morphing...
(Jaguar) / 17 Mac - 94/260 - 126.96.36.199.14)
- The Japanese word for
left, "hidari," is derived from "dari-on," or "horizon," because the
emperor faced south for ceremonial occasions and the sun
rose on his left.
- Scholars agree that in declaring "the hand of
little employment hath the daintier sense," Hamlet was referring to
the left hand.
- The ancient Incas of Peru
held left-handers in high esteem. One of their early monarchs, Llloque
Yapanqui, was known as the "Unforgettable Left-handed One."
- Research studies suggest lefties are more perceptive
to changes in musical tones, perhaps because they,
unlike right-handers, hear equally well with both ears.
- Lefties have a decided edge when it comes to
using the standard QWERTY keyboard on a typewriter. There are no plans
to replace QWERTY with the Dvorak keyboard, which places 56 percent of
the workload on the right hand.
- More than one-third of all children who were
made to switch from naturally using their left hand to using their
right, developed some stammer or impediment to their speech.
- Eight of our solar system's nine
planets, including Earth, rotate counterclockwise on their axes. The
planets orbit the sun "to the left," and our sun,
along with the billions of other stars in the universe, orbits
the Milky Way in a counterclockwise direction.
- One archeological study found that 55 percent
of a sample of French Stone Age tools were for left-handers. Another
discovery revealed that one-third of North American Indian stone
implements were made by lefties.
- Among early Eskimos every left-hander was
viewed as a potential sorcerer.
- In tribute to his left hand, Immanuel Kant once
said, "What can more resemble my hand and be in all points like, than
its image in the looking glass? And yet I cannot put such a hand as I
see in the glass in the place of the original."
- Being left-handed was evidence against a person
in the 17th century witch trials in New England. A French superstition
held that witches greet Satan _avec le bras gauche_ ("with the left
- It is believed by some that the reason Leonardo
da Vinci used his left hand exclusively was that his right hand
- As many as 70 percent of the Punjab tribe of
Fiji use the left hand by preference. There is also a consistently
higher occurrence of left-handedness in aboriginal tribes of North and
South America, South Africa and Australia.
- In 1989, Stanley Coren, author of _The
Left-Hander Syndrome: The Causes and Consequences of Left-Handedness_,
determined on the basis of nearly 1,000 case histories that the
average age of death for right-handers was 75 years, while
left-handers lived about 66 years.
- Proudly proclaiming itself as the "World's only
magazine for Lefthanders," _Lefthander Magazine_ is published
bimonthly from Lefthanders International at P.O. Box 8249, Topeka, KS
66608. The magazine is lefty friendly with pages tailored for
- Visit the zoo this weekend and see for yourself
that gorillas, monkeys, chimpanzees and orangutans are
- The skulls of 700 Egyptians
from the twenty-seventh to thirteenth dynasty (525-332 B.C.) werefound
to have a larger cerebral capacity in the right hemisphere, which
strongly suggests they were left-handed.
- Left-handers make better typists. Not only do
they have more practice using both hands for other tasks, but the most
used letters - A, E, R, S and T - are on the left side of the
- When bats emerge from a
cave, theyfly in a
left-spiraling pattern to keep from bumping into each other.
- Ancient Egyptian tomb drawings show about 10
percent of the figures using the left hand.
- Ancient Aztec healers believed in the
importance of using a particular hand to administer medicine. Liver
medication had to be taken with the right hand, and kidney medicine
with the left.
- Baseball has become a popular sport in Japan,
and the natural advantages the game offers southpaws has been credited
with helping change the centuries-old anti-lefty bias in that country.
- Studies on immunities and susceptibilities
indicate left-handers seem to be more susceptible to the effects of
drugs and alcohol than right-handers.
- The French word for left, "gauche," also means
clumsy, socially inept or incorrect.
- Left-handedness was believed to be a sign of
good luck by the ancient Zuni tribe of North
- The Zuni still believe that the left hand is
the older and wiser one.
- According to a study published in South
Africa, vegetarians are more likely to be
- On average, lefties score lower on the verbal
portion of standardized tests, but far outrank righties in math.
- If there were no interference on the part of
parents and teachers, 34 out of every100 children born today would be
left-handed, and about 3 percent would be using both hands with equal dexterity.
- The Romans were the most militantly
right-handed people in history, and made up rules against
left-handers. Romans invented the right-handed handshake and the
- While many ancient cultures considered
left-handedness a bad sign, the Incas of Peru
looked upon it as a harbinger of good
- Lefties generally use both hemispheres of the
brain to carry out certain functions, rather than rely on one hemisphere like their rightie counterparts. Some
experts studying the brain think the bilateral functioning
by lefties is problematic, but others feel it can result in superior
- Stewardesses is the longest word that is typed
with only the left hand.
- Left-handers adjust more readily to seeing
- 4 of the 5 original designers of the Apple
Macintosh computer were left-handed
|left hand smooth arc water tank
|cat says no bell
- Angelina Jolie (_Girl, Interrupted_ (vhs/ntsc), _Hackers_ (vhs/ntsc))
- Balthazar Getty (_Lost Highway_)
- Bart Simpson
- Ben Stiller (_There's Something About Mary_
- Benjamin Franklin
(also a vegetarian)
- Big Bird (the right hand is used to move the
4.5 pound head)
- Bill Bradley - Senator and Presidential
candidate, ex-NBA basketball player for New
- Bill Clinton
- Bill Gates
- Bill Lee (eccentric pitcher for the Montreal
- Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins - plays guitar
- Bob Dylan
- Bren Spiner (Data)
- Bruce Willis (_Pulp Fuction_ (vhs/ntsc), _The Sixth Sense_
- Carol Burnett
- Cary Grant
- Charlie Chaplin
- Christian Slater (_Heathers_(vhs/ntsc) , _The Name Of The Rose_ (vhs/tnsc) )
- Dan Aykroyd (Blues Brother, Ghostbuster,
- David Byrne (Talking Heads)
- David Letterman
- Demi Moore
- Diane Keaton (_Sleeper_
(vhs/tnsc) , _Annie Hall_)
- Don Adams (_Get Smart_)
- Drew Carey
- Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin (NASA astronaut)
- The Elephant Man
- Fidel Castro (Cuban leader)
- Fran Drescher (_This Is Spinal Tap_ (vhs/tnsc))
- George Burns
- Greta Garbo
- H.G. Wells (sci-fi
author; also a vegetarian)
- Hans Christian Anderson (also a vegetarian)
- Harpo Marx
- Harry Anderson (_Night Court_)
- Helen Keller
- Isaac Hayes (voice of the chef in _South Park_)
- Isaac Newton
- Jason Bateman (_It's Your Move_)
- Jennifer Connolly (film _Some Girls_ (vhs/tnsc), _Requiem For A Dream_ (vhs/tnsc))
- Jerry Seinfeld
- Jim Henson
- Jimi Hendrix
- Joanne Woodward (also a vegetarian)
- Johann Sebastian Bach
- Johnny Rotten (Sex
- Jon Stewart
- Julianne Moore (_Boogie Nights_ (vhs/tnsc))
- Keanu Reeves (_The Matrix_ (vhs/tnsc))
- Kermit The Frog
- Klaus Kinski (_Nosferatu The Vampyre_
- Kristy McNichol
- Larry Bird (Boston Celtics
NBA basketball player, also a vegetarian)
- Lenny Bruce
- Leonardo Da Vinci
- Lewis Carroll
- Ludwig Van Beethoven
- M.C. Escher - drew with his
left, wrote with his right
- Mahatma Ghandi (also vegetarian)
- Mark Hamill (v_Star
Wars_ (vhs/tnsc) )
- Mark Twain
- Mark Wahlberg (_Boogie Nights_ (vhs/tnsc))
- Marshall McLuhan
- Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Mary Stuart Masterson (_Some Kind Of Wonderful_
- Matthew Broderick (_Wargames_, _Ferris
Bueller's Day Off_ (vhs/tnsc))
- Matt Groening (creator of _The Simpsons_)
- Michael Stipe (REM)
- Mickey Rourke (_Angel Heart_ (vhs/tnsc))
- Milla Jovovich (_Resident Evil_ (vhs/tnsc))
- Morgan Freeman (_The Shawshank Redemption_
- Nicole De Boer (_Cube_ (vhs/tnsc)(1997), also a vegetarian)
- Penelope Ann Miller (_Biloxi Blues_)
- Peter Fonda (_Easy Rider_, _The Trip_)
- artists formerly known as and is once again
known as Prince
- Rachel Leigh Cook (also vegetarian)
- Richard Dreyfuss (Roy Neary in _Close
Of The Third Kind_ (DVDx2)
- Richard Pryor
- Robert DeNiro (_The King Of Comedy_ (vhs/tnsc))
- Robert Redford (_The Natural_)
- Ron Perlman (_Name Of The
Rose_ (vhs/tnsc) , _Alien: Resurrection_, _City Of
- Ron Reagan, Jr.
- Sarah Jessica Parker (_Mars Attacks!_
(vhs/tnsc), _Ed Wood_)
- Stefanie Powers (_Die! Die! My Darling_, _Hart
- Steve McQueen (_Papillon_ (vhs/tnsc))
- Tippi Hedren (_The Birds_)
- Telly Savalas
- Terence Stamp
- Teri Garr (_After Hours_
(vhs/tnsc) , _Close
Encounters Of The Third Kind_ (DVD x2)
- Winston Churchill (also a freemason
as well as vegetarian)
Elevation: 6.70 meters
|left hand over the ocean
|Easter Island - Policarpo
Toro, Hanga Roa, Isla de Pascua, Región de Valparaíso, Chile
- avant garde track _Sacred Rites Of The Left
Hand Path_ MP3 (192k) by John Zorn off of
_I.A.O._ CD no Tzadik (2002)
- track _Left Hand Suzuki Method_ MP3 (192k) by Gorillaz off of s/t CD (2001)
- electro acoustic track _The Left Remembers_ MP3 by Paul Schutze off of _Green Evil_ on Tone
- neo psychedelia
noise pop release _If You Want Me To Stay/The Left Handed Raygun Of
Paul Sharits_ MP3 (256k) by Mercury Rev on
Rough Trade (1992)
- release was offered through the Rough Trade
- track _Slow Rt. Hand_ MP3 (vK) by Califone
off of _Roomsound_ on Perishable (2001)
- indie electronic release _Left Handed_ 12" by
Lali Puna on Morr Music #037 (2003)
- track _Fat Tuesday_ by Left Hand Right Hand off
of _Arrythmia II (compilation of percussive music)_ CD on Charnel
- heavy metal/doom metal track _Hand Of Doom_ MP3 by
Black Sabbath off
of _Paranoid_ 12" (purple marbled vinyl) on Vertigo
- post rock track _Left Side Clouded_ MP3 (192k) by The Sea & Cake off of _One Bedroom_ on
- indie rock track _Lefty_ MP3 (192k) by Rocket From The Crypt off of _Boychucker_
7" (picture disc) on Sympathy For The Record Industry #179
from Timothy Leary on _Left Hand Shake_ MP3 off of _Brap_ (European Version Only)
- sci-fi book _The Left
Hand Of Darkness_ by Ursula K. Leguin
- the Free Art License and Free Software Movement
- track _Left Hand Shake
(Banned Studio Version)_ MP3 by Skinny Puppy off of _Last Rights_
are a light. You are a sun.
Drift within. This is your body."
you get lost on the trip?"
you get trapped in memory?"
did you do?"
had to make it a bad trip."
see the light... Do not see right..."
this mirror of confession..."
do you see there? Your personality... All your goals and your
fears... Your ambitions."
game of your life; got to check that, you can't take it on the
those animal impulses that you hide..."
keep down below, all this baggage must be checked."
can't take that on the billion year voyage."
"Then take this chalice, the elixir of life."
Internal LinkInventory Cache