This nOde last updated October 10th, 2000 and is permanently morphing...
(8 Chiccan (Serpent)/8 Kan (Snake) - 125/260 - 188.8.131.52.5)
Black stemmed colocasia
leaves 6 nos.
Bengal gram flour 60 gms.
Soda bicarbonate ¼ tsp.
Green chilies 4 nos.
Ginger ½" piece
Jaggery 2 tsp.
Sesame seeds 1 tsp.
Tamarind 3 tsp.
Crushed coriander seeds 1 tsp.
Mustard seeds ½ tsp.
Oil 2 tbsp.
Salt To taste
1. Wash the colocasia leaves,
grind the green chilies and ginger and set aside.
2. Sieve the gram flour and set aside.
3.. Make a pulp with the tamarind and the jaggery.
4.. Make a thick batter with the gram flour and the tamarind pulp.
5.. Season the batter. Add the spices and soda bicarbonate.
6. Take one colocasia leaf and place it on the wrong side.
7. Spread the batter evenly on the leaf. Put another leaf on top of it and spread more batter.
8. Fold from both sides. Roll tightly. Tie with a thread throughout the length of the roll.
9. Repeat the method for the rest of the leaves.
10. Steam for one hour in a steamer or in a water bath. Leave until quite cool.
11. Slice in to ½" thick slices.
12.Heat the oil to smoking point in a pan.
13.Add the mustard seeds and once they start crackling, add the patra slices.
14.Sauté for 1-2 minutes.
15.Serve hot,garnished with chopped coriander leaves and grated coconut.