External Link Internal LinkInventory Cache
last updated September 17th, 2005 and is permanently morphing...
(4 Lamat (Rabbit) / 6 Ch'en (Black) - 108/260 -
tongue (tùng) noun
1.a. The fleshy, movable,
muscular organ, attached in most vertebrates to the floor of the
mouth, that is the principal organ of taste, an aid in chewing and
swallowing, and, in human beings, an important organ of speech. b. An
analogous organ or part in invertebrate animals, as in certain insects
2.The tongue of an animal, such
as a cow, used as food.
3.A spoken language
4.a. Speech; talk: If there is
goodness in your heart, it will come to your tongue. b. The act or
power of speaking: She had no tongue to answer. c. tongues.
Speech or vocal sounds produced in a state of religious ecstasy.
d. Style or quality of utterance: her sharp tongue.
5.The bark or baying of a
hunting dog that sees game: The dog gave tongue when the fox came
through the hedge.
6.Something resembling a tongue
in shape or function, as:. a. The vibrating end of a reed in a wind
instrument. b. A flame. c. The flap of material under the laces or
buckles of a shoe. d. A spit of land; a promontory. e. A bell clapper.
f. The harnessing pole attached to the front axle of a horse-drawn
7.A protruding strip along the
edge of a board that fits into a matching groove
on the edge of another board.
tongued, tonguing, tongues
1.Music. To separate or
articulate (notes played on a brass or wind instrument) by shutting
off the stream of air with the tongue.
2.To touch or lick with the
3.a. To provide (a board) with
a tongue. b. To join by means of a tongue and groove.
4.Archaic. To scold.
1.Music. To articulate notes on
a brass or wind instrument.
2.To project: a spit of land
tonguing into the bay.
hold (one's) tongue
To be or keep silent.
lose (one's) tongue
To lose the capacity to speak,
as from shock.
on the tip of (one's) tongue
On the verge of being recalled
[Middle English, from Old
tonguing (tùng´îng) noun
Interruption of the wind stream through an instrument
by movement of the tongue in order to articulate notes.
gift of tongues
gift of tongues (gîft ùv
An ecstatic utterance that is
partly or wholly unintelligible to hearers, especially such an
utterance considered as a charismatic gift in certain christian
congregations. Also called glossolalia,
speaking in tongues.
[From the Apostles' speaking
in tongues in Acts 2:4.]
speak in tongues (verb)
speak: speak a language, speak
speak mystically, speak in tongues, recite a spell, recite an
incantation, say the magic word, make
practice occultism: speak in
Whether or not the world would be vastly benefited
by a total banishment from it of all intoxicating drinks seems not now
an open question. Three-fourths of mankind confess the affirmative with
their tongues, and I believe all the rest acknowledge it in their
Abraham Lincoln (1809-65), U.S. president. Speech, 22
Feb. 1842, Washingtonian Temperance Society, Springfield, Ill.
(published in The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln, vol. 1, ed. by Roy
P. Basler, 1953).
- rock punk track _Lick
The Moon_ MP3 (160k) by King
Face off of s/t 6-song 12" on King Face (1987)
- alternative rock track _This Wicked Tongue_ MP3 by PJ Harvey off of _Stories From The City, Stories
From The Sea_ (2000)
- track _Speaking In Tongues III_ MP3 (vK) by Sheila
Chandra off of _Zen Kiss_ CD (1994)
- experimental indie rock track _Tongue Tied_ MP3
(vK) by Erase Errata off of _Other Animals_ on
Troubleman Unlimited (2001)
- post hardcore/math rock track _Two Lips, Two
Lungs, And One Tongue_ MP3 by Nomeansno off of _Wrong_
CD12"x2 (red/white splatter vinyl)(1989)/(2010)
- he kept trying, he kept trying but he
couldn't find out why he couldn't stop crying/ only so many songs
can be sung with two lips, two lungs and one tongue/ she kept
praying, she kept praying that he would understand what she was
saying/ only so many songs can be sung with two lips, two lungs
and one tongue/ he kept dreaming, he
kept dreaming of the day they'd realize what he was feeling/ only
so many songs can be sung with two lips, two lungs and one tongue
- 604 release _Ftumchk/Venus Tongue Sandwich_ 12" by Unknown Controllers on Elektrik Orgasm
- 604 track _Tongues Of Fungus_ MP3 (160k) by Sun
Kings off of _Soul Sleeping_ on Blue Room
- 604 release _Seminal Ra (Ecmotik
Zatter Mix)/Seminal Ra (Fertility Rites Mix)_ MP3 (160k) 12" by
Tongue 'N' Tweak on DeMonTea
Recordings (1999) (Fertility Rites Mix also on _Edges R Fun_ CDb on
- ethnic fusion track
_Mother Tongue_ MP3 (192k)
by Dead Can Dance off of _The Serpent's
Egg_ on 4AD (1988)
- sadcore track _Kissing With Tongues_ MP3 by Red
Monkey_ off of _Difficult Is Easy_ on Troubleman Unlimited (1999)
- indie rock instrumental track _Tongue Tied
(truncated 4:58/5:16)_ MP3 by My Vitriol off of _Finelines_ (2001)
- garage blues rock release _Trance
States In Tongues_ by Zen Guerrilla on Sub
track _Tongues On Thrones_ MP3 by Treepeople
off of _Time Whore_ 12"
- 7. _Cold Duck_ MP3
- 12. _Moonage
Daydream_ MP3 (vK)
- MP3 (vK)
cover of David Bowie
- space ambient track _Tongues Of Fire_ MP3 (192k) by Air Liquide off of _Increased Difficulty
Of Concentration_ CDx2 on Sm:)e (1994)
- electro release _Scuba Tongues MP3 (192k)/St. Blasph_
10" by Dr. Scissors on Electrolux (1998)
- performed live @ no ufos's
/ love parade berlin 1997
- lo-fi track _Dustin Hoffman's Wife Calls In A
Detective To Dust For Porcelain Particles On Dustin Hoffman's Tongue_
MP3 by Of Montreal off of _Early Four Track
Recordings_ on Kindercore (2001)
- lo-fi track _Dustin Hoffman's Tongue Taken To
Police Lab Where It Is Used As Toilet Paper And Reading Material While
On The Toilet_ MP3 by Of Montreal off of _Early Four Track
Recordings_ on Kindercore (2001)
- track _Tongue_ MP3 by Xtatika
off of _Tongue Bath_ on Tzadik (2001)
- dark ambient track
_With A Tongue Of Madness_ MP3 (192k) by Black
Lung & Xingu Hill off of _The Andronechron Incident_ on Ant-Zen
- hardcore punk track
_Humans With Forked Tonuges_ MP3 (160k) by pg. 99
off of _Document #5_ on Reptilian (2000)
electronica/electrohouse/electroclash track _I Can Talk (Golden Bug
by Two Door Cinema Club off of _I Can Talk Remixes_ 12" on Kitsune
Music #108 (2009)
- You won't
believe what I tell you
White coats and clever minds will choose
You get a lot from this
Loose tongue and arrogance
It's not appropriate
Don't think that this is it
Now I can talk, no one gets off
(I know how you like to)
Now I can talk, no one gets off
A longer sentence brings no more
Than one that I had said before
It's hard to compromise
When I see through your eyes
It's just a common view
I guess it's lost on you
- track _Her Tongue Is Like A Jellyfish_
MP3 (192k) by FSOL (Future Sound Of London) off of _The
Isness_ on Hypnotic (2002)
- hardcore emo track _Tongue Biting_ MP3 (160k) by Julia off of s/t on Bloodlink
- track _They Want Us To Make A Symphony Out Of
The Sound Of Women Swallowing Their Own Tongues_ MP3 (96k) by Le Tigre
off of _From The Desk Of Mr. Lady_ 12" on Mr. Lady (2001)
- member: Kathleen Hanna of Bikini Kill
- track _Tongue Illustrations_ MP3 (160k) by With
- ethnic dub track _Mother Tongue_ MP3 (192k) by Jairamji off
of _Kindred Spirits_ CD on Dakini (2003)
- ethnic fusion track
_Tongue Tied In Sind_ MP3 (160k) by Muslimgauze off of _Your Mines In Kabul_
CDx3 on Staalplaat #026 (gatefold insert with foam button - limited
- track _Tongue Tied_ MP3 (256k) by Ride off
of _Firing Blanks - Unreleased Ride Recordings 1988-1995)_ (2001)
- art folk track _Man With The Silver Tongue_ MP3 by Angels Of Light
off of _New Mother_ on Young God (1999)
- acid jazz track _Tongue In Your Ear_ MP3 (192k) by Love TKO off of _Space Jazz_ compilation CD on
- electro EBM track _Language
Without Lies (Assemblage 23 Mothertongue Mix)_
MP3 (192k) off of _The Fall_ CDs on
- raggamuffin trip-hop track _Twisted
Tongue_ MP3 (192k) by Sofa Surfers off of _Encounters_ (2002)
- lo-fi track _Kings Tongue_ MP3 (192k) by Smog off
of _Sewn To The Sky_ on Drag City (1995)
- release _Speaking In Tongues_ 12" (1983) by
- track _Cloud On My Tongue_ MP3 by Tori
Amos off of _Under The Pink_ (1994)
- techno track _Tonguefluster_ by Kay D. Smith
off of _Conjunction_ 12" on Construct Rhythm (2001)
- ambient techno track _Tongues_ MP3 by Moby off
of _Ambient_ on Instinct (1993)
- acid jazz techno track
_Ornamented Licks_ MP3 (vK) by Heiko Laux off of _Ornaments_ 12"x2 on
Kanzleramt #069 (2002)(Germany)
- college rock track _Tongue_ MP3 by REM off
of _Monster_ (1994)
- industrial glitch track _Licked On By Chicken_
MP3 (vK) by Involution off of s/t 12" on Flesh Eating
Ants #001 (2003)
- Cevin Key
- Limited to 200 hand numbered copies on 220
gram audiophile vinyl. Translucent purple with solid pink streaks
coloured vinyl. Direct-metal mastered. A test pressing edition of
10 copies on black vinyl was made on December 9th, 2002. These
copies were given to friends of the label and Cevin, and included
all four inserts from the regular edition.
* is the large bundle of muscles on the floor of
the mouth that manipulates food for chewing and swallowing.
* is one of the organs of taste. Much of the surface of the tongue is
covered in taste buds.
* assists in forming the sounds of speech.
* also plays a major role in the tongue kiss and in oral sex.
* can be used as synonymous for language, e.g.
The tongue is made mainly of skeletal muscle and is
attached to the hyoid bone, mandible and the styloid processes
of the temporal bone.
The muscles that attach the tongue are the extrinsic
muscles of the tongue. Inside the tongue, there are four pairs of
intrinsic muscles that can alter the shape of the tongue for talking and
The dorsum (top side) of the tongue can be divided
into two parts, an oral part that lies mostly in the mouth, and a
pharyngeal part (posterior third of the tongue) which faces backwards to
the oropharynx. The two parts are separated by a V-shaped groove,
the sulcus terminalis (or terminal sulcus).
The dorsal side of the anterior two-thirds (oral
part) of the tongue is covered in taste buds (or papillae), and the
tongue appears velvety and pink. There are four types of taste buds:
filiform, fungiform, vallate and foliate. At the back of the oral part
of the tongue there are 3-14 vallate papillae arranged in a V-shape in
front of the sulcus terminalis.
There are no lingual papillae on the underside of
the tongue. It is covered with a smooth mucous membrane, with a fold
(the lingual frenulum) in the centre.
The upper side of the posterior tongue (pharyngeal
part) has no visible taste buds, but it is bumpy because of the
lymphatic follicles lying underneath. These follicles are known as the
Things related to the tongue are often called
lingual which comes from the Latin word, or glossal which comes from the
Greek word for tongue.
Extrinsic muscles of the tongue
There are four pairs of extrinsic muscles that act to move the tongue,
and these are attached to various bones of the head and neck.
* Genioglossus - this muscle comes from the genial
tubercule of the mandible (lower jaw bone), and comprises most of the
bulk of the tongue.
* Hyoglossus - attached to the hyoid bone, ...
* Styloglossus - comes from the styloid process of the temporal bone
* Palatoglossus -
Intrinsic muscles of the tongue
Four pairs of muscles run through the...
* Human anatomy
* Tongue piercing
* Tongue splitting
* Vocal tract
Internal LinkInventory Cache
- A frog's tongue is
attached to the front of its mouth.
- The strongest muscle in the human body is the
- A crocodile cannot stick its tongue out.
- Dolphins speak in stereo
using two "tongues" through the blowhole. When two dolphins
speak, it sounds like four voices.
- The most difficult tongue-twister is "The sixth
sick Sheik’s sixth sheep’s sick."
- A giraffe can clean its ear with its 21-inch
- A snake has no ears. But its tongue is
extremely sensitive to sound vibrations. By flicking its tongue, a
snake can pick up sound waves-so a snake
'hears with his tongue'